Managing Director & Principal Consultant
Douglas (Doug) Nix, C.E.T., SM-IEEE’14, is co-owner of Compliance inSight Consulting, Inc. (https://www.complianceinsight.ca) in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
His background covers more than 35 years of engineering technology experience including product testing, industrial control system design and machinery safety.
Nix specializes in machinery safety and risk assessment methods and processes. He has been studying, applying, and teaching risk assessment principles and processes since 1996.
Since graduating from Sheridan College in 1985, Doug has worked in the certification, consulting, electrical products manufacturing, and automation systems industries.
Doug has written extensively for industry trade magazines and the OACETT Technologist, and the IEEE PSES Newsletter. He has published a number of papers privately and through the IEEE relating risk assessment, functional safety and machinery safety. Read Doug’s research contributions on ResearchGate. Read Doug’s research contributions on IEEE Xplore.
Doug is a member of the following professional organizations:
- Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) since 1991
- Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) since 2004
- IEEE Senior Member since 2014
- Product Safety Engineering Society (PSES) since 2004
- Industrial Applications Society (IAS) since 2010
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA) since 2007
- Standards Council of Canada (SCC) since 2012
Doug serves on many CSA, IEC and ISO Technical Committees related to his work, including:
- CSA C22.2 No. 301, Industrial Electrical Equipment
- CSA W117.2, Safety in Welding, cutting and allied processes
- CSA Z432, Safeguarding of Machinery
- CSA Z1002, OHS Risk Assessment
- SCC Standards Mirror Committees to
- ISO COPOLCO
- ISOPC 329, Consumer incident investigation
- ISO TC 83/WG 6, Sport and recreation—Risk assessment
- ISO TC 199, Safety of machinery
- ISO TC 270, Plastic and rubber machinery
- IEC TC/65/SC65A Industrial-process measurement, control and automation—Systems aspects
- IEC TC/121/SC121B Switchgear and controlgear and their assemblies for low voltage—Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies
Doug writes the Machinery Safety 101 blog, exploring a wide variety of machinery safety-related topics.
For more information, please see Doug’s profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dougnix.
Follow Compliance InSight Consulting on Twitter @machinerysafety, http://twitter.com/machinerysafety.